Saturday, December 06, 2008

Farm to Work and Why I LOVE Alton Brown

we partook of the Farm to Work program again. I went halvsies with Bond (but somehow when I think back on it, I think I got more than half, so if you want some more greens, let me know!!)

This week we got an assortment of greens (chard, mustard, etc.), potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions, carrots, radishes, beets, and cabbage.

Honestly I wanted in on it this week so I could make Borscht again (Yeah, I don't know why, it's not like that stuff it REALLY REALLY good or anything...it's more like I just get a random craving for it. And honestly I think it's the amount of sour cream I put on top of it more than anything.)

Anyhow, the borscht only uses the beets and cabbage (I think), and I know it doesn't use any of the greens...which means I have to figure out a way to prepare them. Last time when we got Kale, I made some type of quiche with them. it was a little bitter and I didn't really like it. so I don't want to do a quiche with the new greens.

For lack of anything better to do, I went to FoodNetwork.com and typed in "Mustard Greens". Lo and behold, there are recipes by one Mr. Alton Brown. And I love me some Alton Brown (that garlic chicken recipe is Mr. Brown's Recipe, and the flower pot smoker out back is of Mr. Brown's invention. AND we have his Gadgets for the Kitchen book.) So, I think I shall try his greens au gratin, lemon glazed greens, and possibly the pot of greens.

But, I really think I ought to make the borscht tomorrow since that will take forever. This time, purreed instead of chunky.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Vegetarian zombies always want to eat your greens.

"Greeens, greeens..."

The Spiteful Chef said...

Alton really is amazing. Great in bed, too. I should know, since he's my boyfriend on the siiiiiiide.

(p.s. Are you as disappointed as I am with AB's new hair? It's really just fucking atrocious, but who's going to stop him?)

Anonymous said...

I am so ready to cook today. I am going to make a soup with my potatoes, onion, carrots, and kale. I sort of have a recipe, but I'm kind of improvising, so we'll see how it goes! I can't cook it yet because David is napping.

katina said...

Kristie: Yes his new hair! that was what I was complaining about back around halloween. I want the normal Alton hair back. It's like his signature (well that and providing the science behind the food).

Bond: I didn't make the borscht. But I did cut up all the ingredients. good news! you get to make your own borscht this time around--I have the beets and cabbage cut and measured for a half batch.