1. What did you do in 2011 that you had never done before?
I participated in an organized biking event (the Austin Livestrong Challenge). We rode 65 miles through the rolling hill country of Texas.
2. Do you keep New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I stopped making New Year's resolutions because you have to want to change, you can't just say "ah it's a new year, I need to change". well, I mean I guess you could, but it just seems odd. As Yoda said, "Do or do not, there is no try."
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes - my sister-in-law had her third child in late October. Shawn's cousin, Heather, gave birth to her first kid around the same time. AND Shawn's other cousin, Val, gave birth to her second kid in June, I think... Also, my friend's wife had a baby at the end of May.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None. We be boring.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't get in 2011?
a calm year, cat-wise. So perhaps no trips to the e-vet?
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched in your memory and why?
May 29, June 13 and December 15 - Mah boobs. The 29th being when I found the lump, the 13th being when I got the biopsy proving that it was benign, and the 15th because it was my 6-month follow-up (in which the lump has doubled in size, thus meaning I get to have surgery in early 2012. yay).
8. What is your biggest achievement of the year?
Not being bitten by a rattlesnake while in Washington State.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not realizing I was walking over a rattlesnake while in Washington.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes - I'm going to consider the lump as an illness.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My cat's life...well, both of them, really...
12. Whose behavior merited recognition?
My bosses, my husband.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Those involved with the Penn State Scandal.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The money that I actually spent? It was spent on the cats. sigh...
15. What did you get really excited about?
Going to an Indian wedding in Washington.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I don't know...Phoenix's Listomania?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you a) happier or sadder, b) thinner or fatter, c) richer or poorer?
Same, fatter by 2 pounds, and probably richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
vacations, and exercising.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
it's probably tied between less internet surfing and less watching TV.
20. How will you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve will be with my family (they're currently on their way here - Yay!!), and Christmas day will be with Shawn's family. Boxing Day will be with Shawn's extended family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I've been in love for a while now, so other than falling in love with TV shows, no.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I do like Once Upon a Time, But Misfits will probably the one I remember as being in 2011.
23. What was the best book you read?
Altar of Eden by James Rollins, probably... Especially since I re-read a bunch of my other books.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"Where soul meets body" by Death Cab for Cutie. Even though, of course, that song came out in 2005...
25. What did you want and get?
To travel to a new state (Washington)
26. What did you want and not get?
To go to Olympic National Park. Also, to go to Vancouver with the husband for his conference (which was over our anniversary), but alas, I was at my own conference in Maryland. That's right, we spent our anniversary in different countries and couldn't even call each other.
27. What was your favorite film of 2011?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 I would surmise...we don't get out much...
28. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I had a party for the first time in many, many years. I turned 30.
29. What one thing would have made your year immensely more satisfying?
Not having a lump...
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
plain tee shirts and jeans.
31. What kept you sane?
my family and my friends.
32. What political issues stirred you the most?
Bachmann just scares the shit out of me...
33. Who did you miss?
my family and friends who don't live close by.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Feel your ta-tas.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Not really a song, but I love the HEB commercial where the little kids are all dressed for the thanksgiving pageant and there's a line in there about the cousin's bringing the tamales, "a delicioso treat" as the third tamale kid trips and takes a header into the stage. It's awesome.