Thursday, June 19, 2008

Nostalgia: Reading Rainbow

There were very few TV shows we got to watch during class time. In fact, the only one I remember watching in 2nd and 3rd grade was Reading Rainbow.

:::singing::: Take a look, it's in a book, READING RAINBOW.!!!

Oh Geordie. The day I realized that the host of Reading Rainbow (LeVar Burton) was Geordie LeForge, you probably could have knocked me over with a feather. I remember the second thing I thought was "well, how can he see? he needs his little eye guard to see!"

[aside] remember those banana clips? I used to put one over my eyes and then run around the house pretending I was Geordie. And there you have it--when I was 8 I wanted to grow up to be a black man in outer space. [/aside]

We (the class) used to all sit on the floor around the TV, and then Mrs. Chaney would pop in the tape and turn out the lights and we were all transported to a magical land where Geordie could see without his eye guard, kids liked learning things, and above all else, LeVar was the coolest cat around. Don't believe me? just check out this video of LeVar dancing some hiphop back in the day (the sad part? this coreography is better than most of what Doriana does on SYTYCD).

When I was talking about this with my sister the other day, Shawn overheard me and said "But don't take my word for it." Thus proving just how INSTRUMENTAL this show was to all the 3rd grade teachers out there.

hmm, maybe they were on to something...letting the TV teach you things.

2 comments:

Jon said...

At first glance, I thought you wrote that one could knock yover with a "father". Interesting mental image.

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorite shows growing up, I have to admit.