Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Another transposed conversation for your reading pleasure

The other day I was working on my computer and was attempting to get it to read my stupid memory card (actually I was trying to get my butterfly pictures from my camera to the computer--see my garden blog, link at right). Of COURSE Vista had to be its stupid self and once again not read the card reader.

[aside] There's some issue with the computer--when I click on the "safely remove hardware" and tell it to disconnect my memory card, it will disconnect the whole card reader...which just happens to be the printer. Not a problem, except that the stupid computer WILL NOT ever read the card reader again unless you RESTART THE COMPUTER. And no, it does not help to click "eject" instead. It does the same thing. Bill Gates, you are the devil.[/aside]

And so the conversation goes as follows:

Me: SHAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNNN!!!!! the computer is being stupid again! it won't read my memory card! FIIIIIIXXXXXXX IIIIIITTTTTT PPPPPLLLLLEEEAAAASSSEEE! [damn...that's a lot of capitals.... Also, this was after I had turned off the printer, turned it back on, turned it off, unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it back on...and STILL to no avail]

Shawn: Get to your computer properties, click on device manager, right click and tell it to Scan for Hardware Changes. Anything?

Me: No...it's still not reading.

Shawn: Well, it IS Windows. Just restart the computer.

Me: Uh...ok... (click on the little windows icon, click on the power button)

Computer: ZZZZZZZ

Me: huh. The computer sounded funny...like it didn't really turn off. :::press the power button on the tower::::

Computer: [immediately wakes up] Welcome Katina!

Me: Dammit! how do I turn this thing off?!

Shawn: HAHAHAHAHAHA You don't remember how to turn off your computer! HAHAHA :::gasp::: When was the last time you turned it off?

Me: I don't know, I normally never turn it off! Windows is stupid and reboots itself! That's how I end up using Linux all the time, remember?

Shawn: HAHAHAHAHA!!! :::gasps for air, falls over and is grabbing his stomach he's laughing so hard::: BWAHAHAHAHA!


There you have it ladies and gentlemen, the reason I use Linux 70% of the time is because Windows tries to be all helpful and reboot itself. Little does it know that KUbuntu is the first OS in Grub, not Windows...actually, now that I think about it, Shawn's put Windows at the bottom of the Grub list...I wonder if that's because he's trying to get me to use Linux more.

No comments: