Sunday, September 14, 2008

Good Food, Good Wine, Great Friends

Shawn and I went to dinner with Bond and Dave last night. We went to the Trattoria Lisina. The reason we went there, as opposed to somewhere else, is that the place has a cheese plate. And I love cheese. When Dave and Bond took her parents out there, they saw the cheese plate and decided that we had to go out there sometime, just so we could eat the different cheeses.

And Oh. My. God. The food was delicious (I had the rotisserie chicken and Shawn had the Osso Bucco), and the syrah that David bought was wonderful (I don't know how he does it--every year for French Onion Soup night, they bring a great bottle of wine. I'm sure he'll claim it's just because he will order the only wine he can actually pronounce, and everything works out well).

Now, to the cheeses. Which is why you're all here, reading this blog anyhow.

The cheese plate, for whatever reason, is a dessert item. There is a rotation of about 9 cheeses, and the cheese plate comes with 3 of them. The house chooses which three. Last night, the cheeses were as follows: Gorgonzola, Caciocavallo, and Fontina. The plate comes with crackers, fruit and preserves. The cheese also have little signs so you know which cheese is which, and they also give you some history of the cheese. For example, caciocavallo is thought to have been originally a horse milk cheese, but is now made from more common cow's milk. We also ordered the Italian drop doughnuts (which are basically fresh fried doughnut holes) that are covered in cinnamon sugar and served with pastry cream and honey.

:::drool:::

Okay, we're off to go find some food...obviously I need it.

1 comment:

The Spiteful Chef said...

The house just gets to pick FOR you?? I don't think that would fly with me. I mean, I love cheese, don't get me wrong, but blue cheese is just creamy, concentrated evil.

I am totally jealous of your donut holes, though. You could put pastry cream on an orphan and I would want to adopt it. Not just cute baby orphans, either. I'm talking adolescent, pyromaniac orphans.