Friday, May 07, 2010

Doctor

So I just got back from the doctor's office. And I always have this one problem when I'm there: After the doctor has seen me, do I wait for the nurse type to come back and get me or do I just see myself out?

Unfortunately, this has been happening since college. It mostly started when I went to the doctor for a sick appointment and happened to mention that my dad had recently been diagnosed with diabetes. The doctor wanted to do a non-fasting blood sugar screen for shits and giggles. So the nurse did the finger prick and then said that the doctor would be in to see me. 40 minutes later the doctor walked by and happened to notice I was still sitting in the exam room and was like "oh my god! I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that the nurse didn't just tell you that your blood sugar was fine. You could have left 40 minutes ago." From that point on I just always left after they did whatever it was they were to do--if it's that important, they'll call me. Or at least that's what I told myself.

Now then, when I started going to the doctor down here, the first nurse flipped out when I walked myself to the lab for the blood-draw and I was apparently "missing" for a little while. (which really? jesus, I was already 22, it's not like I was likely to be kidnapped.) So ever since then, I've waited for direction (whether it comes from the nurse before, or the doctor during, I don't care). Today I waited 15 minutes for the nurse to come back and get me. And I figure it's because the doctor told her that she didn't think I had left the room yet and they should probably check on me to make sure I hadn't passed out or something. If the doctor hadn't noticed, I might have been there until closing and I could have pulled off the Veronica Mars goes searching for medical files thing.

Maybe I should go back to how I did it in Colorado--just walk my own ass down to the lab and leave afterward. They'll call if they need anything.

1 comment:

The Spiteful Chef said...

Doctors offices are inefficient and usually worthless. Sometimes Chris and I disagree on this. Then other times he couldn't agree more. I say walk yourself wherever you need to go. And if you can? Do the tests at home in your garage.