Monday, November 12, 2007

Ancestors

So, I know I already blogged about this before, but I figure I'll blog about it again because I have spent most of today researching dead people that are in some way, shape, or form related to me.

Unfortunately, today hasn't been going nearly as well as yesterday.

Yesterday I managed to find ship passenger lists for the great German Migration of the 1700's and spent half the day going through those looking for a great (to the seventh) grandfather who came over in 1754. Dani also did some research and determined that his son went on to become a captain during the American Revolution. I also found a website that you can enter a name and find out if said person was a Civil War soldier, that one helped determine that a great-great-great grandfather was a private in the 124 Illinois Infantry.

Today, however, has mostly just been dead ends--dead ends in that there's no more information for the people (probably because the name is too common and there aren't enough records to help), or I have to jump to a different continent. The simplest way to fix this is to pay for the Ancestry.com access. Which, Dani and I talked about it yesterday and we know there is no way to do a good amount of research without paying for it, but the goal is to get as much done WITHOUT paying first so we don't waste time looking at 'free' information.

And all I can say is that my side of the tree is quite a bit more fleshed out than Shawn's side. This is entirely because my Grandfather is awesome and went on a family tree kick about 10 years ago so he got most of the research out of the way.

No comments: