Friday, February 01, 2008

Apple Dumplings (and mini dumplings)

1.5 c sugar
1.5 c water
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg

Bring to boil and add 3T butter and a couple drops of red food coloring (food coloring is optional). set aside

2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2/3 c. shortening

Cream together and then add

1/2 c. milk

mix until it forms a dough (it should be pliable, if it's too dry, add a little more milk)

Directions:
Roll dough into 18 x 12 rectangle and cut into 6" squares. Place whole cored and peeled apples in center of square. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the apples and dot tops of apples with butter. Bring corners together and pinch to seal.

Place 1" apart in un-greased pan (I usually use a 9" square if I'm doing 4 dumplings, or an 11 x 9 if doing 6). Pour syrup over the dumplings and sprinkle with sugar (optional).

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until apples are done.

For mini-dumplings:
same recipe, but peel, core and quarter the apples. follow the directions above (squares of dough will be smaller) replacing a whole apple with a quarter apple. place in pan. bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until apples are done.

Notes:
-usually it's difficult to get the dough to the 12 x 18 size. My mom and I both just started using 4 apples instead of the normal recipe of 6.

-I made the mini-dumplings for the first time and I managed to get the dough rolled out to the 12 x 18 size, and I cut up 4 apples. The minis took up my small oblong pan, and 2 tiny casseroles--they probably fit fine in a 9 x 11.

-My mom always added red food coloring because she found the normal brownish color of the syrup to be unappetizing. I normally don't add the coloring because I don't have it on hand

-You don't have to make as much syrup as the recipe calls for, the important part is to have equal amounts of sugar and water. In fact, I wouldn't recommend having the recipe amount of syrup. Unless you're looking to get diabetes.

No comments: